- An Australasian flycatcher which has a grey-brown back and whitish underside and constantly wags its white-edged tail.
More example sentences
- Microeca leucophaea, family Eopsaltridae (or Muscicapidae). Alternative name: Australian brown flycatcher
- Jacky Winters dart out from a perch to snatch at flying insects, returning to the same perch again. They dive and twist in the air, hovering and grabbing at insects.
- The Jacky Winter is a small grey-brown flycatcher with a faint pale eye-line and white underbody. The dark tail has prominent white outer feathers which are obvious when it lands, wagging his tail from side to side.
late 19th century: diminutive form of the pet name Jack (see jack1) + Winter (imitative of the bird's cry).
More definitions of Jacky WinterDefinition of Jacky Winter in:
- The US English dictionary