Definition of Jane Doe in English:
1 Law An anonymous female party, typically the plaintiff, in a legal action.
- She said Jane Doe's lawyers asked Verizon to withhold her name because she was planning on challenging the subpoena.
- Education officials were not negligent in their duty to protect a former Jonathan Law High student from sexual exploitation by her basketball coach, a Superior Court judge has ruled. Judge Gerald Esposito dismissed the lawsuit brought by the young woman, identified in court documents only as "Jane Doe."
1.1 informal A hypothetical average woman.
- For a Jane Doe such as myself the sight of all this hardware with massive antenna extended and satellite dishes pointing to the heavens was staggering.
- Sadly, there's no shortage of John and Jane Does here: 11 of the 66 people who died on the street in 2002 and 2003 did so without anyone even knowing their names.
- They also named a number of anonymous Jane Does - individual consumers who have been using Napster.
Mid 19th century: the female equivalent of John Doe.
Definition of Jane Doe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan