- A fossil hominid of the Middle Pleistocene period, whose remains were found in Java in 1891.
More example sentences
- An early form of Homo erectus (formerly Pithecanthropus), family Hominidae
- Fossils of Java man and Peking man (a.k.a. Homo erectus) suggest these close evolutionary relatives were frequent victims of physical violence.
- New technology has allowed for more precise dating of fossils, and recent reassessments put the age of Java man at about 1.5 million years old, contemporaneous with other fossil finds in Africa.
- What she does not tell school children is that below those floorboards were also other skulls - modern-looking skulls - that were found in the same level of strata, and would have surely put an end to Dubois' precious Java man.
More definitions of Java manDefinition of Java man in:
- The US English dictionary