Definition of Jerusalem artichoke in English:
1A knobbly edible tuber with white flesh, eaten as a vegetable.
- I also grow a successful variety of vegetables including Jerusalem artichokes, courgettes, beans and pumpkins.
- It comes as no real surprise, however, that onions are the most popular vegetables, and Jerusalem artichokes the least popular.
- Those searching for ingredients for home-made soups might like to pick up some knobbly Jerusalem artichokes.
2The tall North American plant, closely related to the sunflower, which produces this tuber.
- Helianthus tuberosus, family Compositae
- When sunflower was crossed with Jerusalem artichoke, F 1 hybrid plants carried 51 chromosomes and showed reduced pollen fertility.
- Prebiotics can be found in plants like Jerusalem artichokes, tomatoes, bananas, garlic, barley and wheat.
- In fact, every crop in North America other than the blueberry, Jerusalem artichoke, sunflower and squash has its origins elsewhere.
Early 17th century: Jerusalem, alteration of Italian girasole 'sunflower'.
Definition of Jerusalem artichoke in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan