- 1 (Fl. 9th century bc), a Phoenician princess, traditionally the great-aunt of Dido and in the Bible the wife of Ahab king of Israel. She was denounced by Elijah for introducing the worship of Baal into Israel (1 Kings 16:31, 21:5-15, 2 Kings 9:30-7). Her use of make-up was especially condemned by Puritan England.
- 1.1 (as noun a Jezebel) A shameless or immoral woman.More example sentences
immoral woman, hussy; seductress, temptress, femme fatale, Delilah• informal vamp, man-eater• informal , • derogatory tartBritish • informal , • derogatory scrubber, slapper, slag• dated scarlet woman, loose woman, woman of easy virtue, woman of ill repute, fallen woman, wanton, strumpet, trollop• archaic harlot, jade
- Of course an actual woman can't live up to that one, but she can be condemned as a Jezebel or like the Whore of Babylon.
- Casting her as a Jezebel deserving of punishment only plays into the view many women already have of their situations.
- The overwhelming, centrifugal Jezebel seduced the singer.