Definition of Jim Crow in English:
1 [mass noun] The former practice of segregating black people in the US: eventually Jim Crow was abolished on interstate carriers [as modifier]: Jim Crow laws
More example sentences
- They are the type of laws that supported slavery, bringing about the creation of an Uncle Tom's Cabin, and the type of laws that sustained a Jim Crow era of segregation.
- By 1913, just as there was for schools, housing, public transportation, there was a Jim Crow section for black Civil War memory.
- What Jackson did was an act of protest, not unlike what Rosa Parks committed when she refused to give in to a Jim Crow law.
1.1 [count noun] offensive A black person.
Mid 19th century: the name of a black character in a 19th-century plantation song.
Jim Crowism noun
- Example sentences
- Firmly locked in place throughout the South by 1915, Jim Crowism had two cardinal features.
- We are tired of this city using development as a new wave of Jim Crowism.
Definition of Jim Crow in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan