noun (plural John Dories)
An edible dory (fish) of the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean, with a black oval mark on each side.
- Zeus faber, family Zeidae
More example sentences
- Big female cuckoo wrasse, pollack, several bib and a John Dory were all I could see, although my view was slightly obscured by several fronds of kelp.
- All I knew about the boarfish was that it resembled a John Dory, and was rarely seen - probably because, as most marine life books agree, it lives at depths of 100-400m!
- The alternative story is that St Peter threw a John Dory back into the sea after it had engaged his sympathy by making distressed noises.
Definition of John Dory in:
- The US English dictionary