- A pirate’s flag with a white skull and crossbones on a black background.More example sentences
- At the top of the mast was a red flag, a Jolly Roger if he'd ever seen one.
- For gentler fun there's now a Jolly Roger family boat ride in the Pirate Cove, where captains and young pirates (your offspring) can jump aboard together.
- The Old Guard is nothing if not sexist, and while it's not exactly unheard of for a Rhodes Scholar to replace a Jolly Roger, one finds it hard to imagine them permitting a former Girl Scout to do the same.
early 18th century: apparently from jolly1 + the male given name Roger, possibly in the old dialect sense 'the Devil'.
More definitions of Jolly RogerDefinition of Jolly Roger in:
- The US English dictionary