- another name for Jupiter.
- • dated An exclamation indicating surprise or used for emphasis: by Jove, yes, it’s been warm all rightMore example sentences
- And by Jove, I always try to give young entertainers a break whenever I can!
- Sure we got beaten week in and week out, but by Jove we had some fun.
- I believe in what man can do, and by Jove, he's done some pretty marvellous things.
from Latin Jov-, stem of Old Latin Jovis, replaced later by Jupiter. The exclamation by Jove dates from the late 16th century.
More definitions of JoveDefinition of Jove in:
- The US English dictionary