Definition of Kabyle in English:
1 (plural same) A member of a Berber people inhabiting northern Algeria.
- These frères d'olive would create another society with the local Kabyles and Berbers, departements of France as North Africa was once a great and fertile province of Rome.
- Berbers who inhabited the Atlas Mountains southeast of Algiers, Kabyles were the fiercest opponents of the French occupation, submitting to it only in 1857.
- The pressure to Arabize was resisted by Berber population groups, such as the Kabyles, the Chaouia, the Tuareg, and the Mzabt.
2 [mass noun] The Berber dialect of the Kabyle people.
- The Chaouia dialect, which is distinguishable from but related to Kabyle, bears the mark and influence of Arabic.
- The principal language used by this people is Kabyle, used both at home and professionally.
- Kabyle is a Berber language spoken by the Kabyle people.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Kabyle or their language.
- We employed this technique when a Kabyle vessel arrived at the Museum with a white bloom across parts of the surface.
- The Chaouias are traditionally the most isolated of all the Berber groups; the only outsiders their villages received were occasional Kabyle traders.
- The fota, a piece of cloth usually red, yellow and black, was worn at the hips by Kabyle women.
probably from Arabic qabā'il, plural of qabīla 'tribe'.
Definition of Kabyle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan