Definition of Kaonde in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living mainly in north-western Zambia.
- Major tribes are the Tonga in the S; the Kaonde in the NW; and the Bemba, Bisa, and Lala in the NE.
- The creature was described by the Kaonde of old as a huge red lizard with membranous wings like a bat spreading five or more feet, and with teeth in its huge beak.
- Their language is indeed called Chikaonde at times -- but generally not by the Kaondes themselves.
2 [mass noun] The Bantu language of the Kaonde, with around 200,000 speakers.
- The papers - Imbila, a Bemba production, Ngoma in Lunda, Luvale and Kaonde, Intanda in Tonga, Lukanga in Lenje and Liseli in Lozi and Tsopano in Nyanja - should help fill the information gap in rural areas.
- Available in English, Nyanja, Bemba, Lozi, Tonga, Luvale, Kaonde, and Lunda.
- There are seven major vernacular languages which include: Luvale, Lunda, Bemba, Lozi, Kaonde, Tonga and Nyanja.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Kaonde or their language.
- Senior Chief Kasempa of the Kaonde people is also happy with Government efforts to reduce poverty levels in the province through infrastructure development and provision of social services.
- Recollectively, in the 1940-60s, the mining companies drew their employees chiefly from such impassive ethnics as Bemba, Lala, Ngoni, Namwanga, Mambwe, and later from the Kaonde tribe.
- He and his wife went to the Kaonde people to introduce Christ as a Savior to those that would listen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan