Definition of Kashmiri in English:
Relating to Kashmir, its people, or their language.
- The Kashmiri language has never been the medium of instruction here, except during Sheikh Abdullah's first tenure as Chief Minister, 1947-1953.
- Origin of Kashmiri language has been a topic of debate among linguists and scholars for a long period of time.
- ‘I was taken in as assistant director and my job was to supervise the language and the diction in the film which had a Kashmiri background,’ he says.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Kashmir.
- Now, the Lashkar's ranks have just a few Pashtuns and even fewer Kashmiris.
- They have nothing to do with the aspirations of the Kashmiris or the Afghans.
- It has been said that Kashmir is a land of milk and honey, and it is true that Kashmiris enjoy both, sometimes adding to milk or yoghurt a sprinkling of saffron.
2 [mass noun] The Indic language of Kashmir, spoken by over 3 million people and written in both Devanagari and Arabic script.
- Among them, Naseem Shafai, 49, made her mark; she is the first woman poet who started writing in Kashmiri.
- There are few Kashmiri speaking people living in this tract.
- A few did not understand any other language than Kashmiri and Gogri.
Definition of Kashmiri in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia