- 1 [mass noun] A type of northern Indian classical dance, with alternating passages of mime and dancing.More example sentences
- Lakshmi Kannan is an exponent of Bharatanatyam and Kathak and a dance critic.
- Thus the fusion experiment of classical Indian Kathak and passionate Spanish Flamenco turns out to be a very refreshing experiment.
- Chennai based Lakshmi Kannan is a Bharatanatyam and Kathak exponent and a dance critic.
- 2 (plural same or Kathaks) A member of a northern Indian caste of storytellers and musicians.More example sentences
- In those days Kathaks were attached to temples, telling people stories from the epics and Puranas.
- The ancient Kathaks were mainly men who narrated the scriptures using music and mime.
- During ancient times, groups of Kathaks allegedly roved around the country recounting the epics and myths through poetry, music and dance.
from Sanskrit kathaka 'professional storyteller', from kathā 'story'.