- A small white-breasted plover related to the ringed plover, found on most continents.
More example sentences
- Charadrius alexandrinus, family Charadriidae; American races are sometimes treated as a different species. North American name: snowy plover
- Researchers from six countries studied three shorebird species - western sandpipers, Kentish plovers, and Common sandpipers - that are both socially and genetically monogamous.
- An estimated 1.5 million eared grebes, 50,000 Wilson's phalaropes, 50,000 California gulls, and 200 snowy plovers visit Mono Lake each spring and summer.
- A short description of each of the ESA-listed marine birds is provided below, except for the western snowy plover, a shorebird that does not occur in the area of whaling activities.
early 19th century: so named because of its first discovery in Kent, but now extinct in Britain.