Definition of Khoisan in English:
1 [usually treated as plural] A collective term for the Khoikhoi and San peoples of southern Africa.
- In southern Africa, the Khoisan were pushed all the way to the southern tip of the continent.
- The first inhabitants of Mozambique were hunters and gatherers, ancestors of the Khoisan now found in South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia.
- The Bushmen, or Khoisan, or hunter-gatherer Khoi, were a physically similar but culturally distinct people who lived contiguously with the Khoikhoi.
2 [mass noun] A language family of southern Africa, including the languages of the Khoikhoi and San, now having fewer than a million speakers altogether, and notable for the use of clicks (made by suction with the tongue) as additional consonants.
- Bantu, Khoisan, and Indo-European languages are spoken in Botswana.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Khoisan or their languages.
- Members of the Khoisan language groups are the oldest surviving inhabitants of the land, but only a few are left in South Africa today - and they are located in the western sections.
- However, the policy also promotes the use and development of sign language and ‘heritage languages’ such as Khoisan and Indian languages.
- Essentially I am trying to represent her story through living people - people who reflect her and her spirit, such as contemporary Khoisan people.
Words that rhyme with KhoisanBildungsroman • Nisan
Definition of Khoisan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan