An animal of a large race of the North American brown bear or grizzly, found on islands to the south of Alaska.
- Ursus arctos middendorffi, family Ursidae
More example sentences
- For a Fox-TV special called Man vs. Beast, Kobayashi faced down a 1,089-pound Kodiak bear in a hot-dog-eating contest.
- But even they were dwarfed by the formidable Pachyaena, a ground-dwelling cousin of the earliest whales, whose head reached the size of a Kodiak bear's.
- When interior bears stand on their hind feet to get a better view of their surroundings, they may be 1.8-2.7 meters tall whereas Kodiak bears are 2.7-3.4 meters in height.
late 19th century: named after Kodiak Island, Alaska.
Definition of Kodiak bear in:
- The US English dictionary