(also Qur'an or Quran /kʊ-/)
- The Islamic sacred book, believed to be the word of God as dictated to Muhammad by the archangel Gabriel and written down in Arabic. The Koran consists of 114 units of varying lengths, known as suras; the first sura is said as part of the ritual prayer. These touch upon all aspects of human existence, including matters of doctrine, social organization, and legislation.
- More example sentences
- There are new mosques, Islamic schools and Quranic centres from Brisbane to Perth.
- For these orthodox Muslims, customs and traditions are more important than the Quranic injunctions.
- Tobacco isn't banned in the Qur'an, but the Qur'anic principles suggest that smoking is not a good thing.
Pronunciation: /-ˈranɪk, -ˈrɑːnɪk/adjective
from Arabic qur'ān 'recitation', from qara'a 'read, recite'.
More definitions of KoranDefinition of Koran in:
- The US English dictionary