- A region of the solar system beyond the orbit of Neptune, believed to contain many comets, asteroids, and other small bodies made largely of ice.More example sentences
- The objects in the Kuiper belt represent remnants from the formation of our solar system.
- Scientists speculate that it could be a body from the distant Kuiper belt, way out in the outer solar system.
- If Pluto were discovered today, it may not have been called a planet, because it is just one among a myriad of objects in the Kuiper belt.
1990s: named after Gerard P. Kuiper (1905–73), Dutch-born US astronomer.
More definitions of Kuiper beltDefinition of Kuiper belt in:
- The US English dictionary