noun (plural same or Kwakiutls)
- 1A member of an American Indian people of the NW Pacific coast, living mainly on Vancouver Island.More example sentences
- The next time I accidentally get stuck in Lincoln Center sitting through all 18 hours of Wagner's Ring Cycle, I could thank my studies of the Kwakiutl for making it seem pleasant by comparison.
- It was in 1930, when Boas was 70 years old, that he returned to the site of his earlier studies among the Kwakiutl with a motion picture camera and wax cylinder sound recording machine.
- Perhaps the most familiar example of a gift culture is that of the native Americans of the Pacific Northwest such as the Kwakiutl and their famous potlatch ceremonies.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Kwakiutl or their language.More example sentences
- These are the Kwakiutl totem-pole colors that I grew up with.
- Many cultures - the Kwakiutl Indians, Heiltsuk, and Bellacoola, among others - mark each stage of life with a new identity, a new name, and new relationships to the clan.
- To that end, Mauss studied the Kwakiutl culture of British Columbia, whose chiefs used to brag to other chiefs, that they could give away more nice things than anyone else.
the name in Kwakiutl.
More definitions of KwakiutlDefinition of Kwakiutl in:
- The US English dictionary