Definition of Kyrgyz in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of an indigenous people of central Asia, living chiefly in Kyrgyzstan.
- In fact, the Kirghiz were one of the first groups of Afghan refugees to seek a haven in that country.
- And the interdependence of the Kirghiz and Wakhi has increased, alongside trade with the rest of Afghanistan.
- The ancient Kyrgyz were part of strong nomadic tribal unions, which proved to be a serious distress to China.
2 [mass noun] The Turkic language of the Kyrgyz, with approximately 2 million speakers.
- Kyrgyzstan has two official languages: Kyrgyz and Russian.
- It is still commonly used as the language of business, and many ethnic Russians cannot speak Kyrgyz.
- It is related to such languages as Turkish, Kazak, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, and Uzbek.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Kyrgyz or their language.
- Dressed in ill-fitting Kyrgyz army fatigues - their clothes are in tatters and they have lost all their gear - the climbers appear on Kyrgyzstan's state-run TV.
- A few weeks later, just after my Outside story went to press, there was startling news from Kyrgyzstan: Sharipov survived the fall and was captured by Kyrgyz soldiers.
- Rakitin earlier said that several Kyrgyz citizens who witnessed the killings testified that the gunman was tall and had red hair, a description that bears little resemblance to Ivankov.
The name in Kyrgyz.
Words that rhyme with KyrgyzIndies • undies • hafiz
Definition of Kyrgyz in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan