Definition of Lacedaemonian in English:
A native or inhabitant of Lacedaemon, an area of ancient Greece comprising the city of Sparta and its surroundings.
- They had time to finish it because the Lacedaemonians at home were just then celebrating a festival.
- The Melians were colonists of the Lacedaemonians who would not submit to Athens like the other islanders.
- In this way accordingly he dissuaded the Lacedaemonians from showing themselves to be either too bold or cowardly.
adjectiveBack to top
Of Lacedaemon or its inhabitants; Spartan.
- They were also required to provide troops for the Lacedaemonian army and support Sparta in time of war.
- The same criticism may be made about the Cretan, which has been already made about the Lacedaemonian elders.
- The Thirty marched out to attack Thrasybulus, at the head of the Lacedaemonian garrison.
Definition of Lacedaemonian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan