Definition of Lacedaemonian in English:
A native or inhabitant of Lacedaemon, an area of ancient Greece comprising the city of Sparta and its surroundings.
- They had time to finish it because the Lacedaemonians at home were just then celebrating a festival.
- The Melians were colonists of the Lacedaemonians who would not submit to Athens like the other islanders.
- In this way accordingly he dissuaded the Lacedaemonians from showing themselves to be either too bold or cowardly.
adjectiveBack to top
Of Lacedaemon or its inhabitants; Spartan.
- They were also required to provide troops for the Lacedaemonian army and support Sparta in time of war.
- The same criticism may be made about the Cretan, which has been already made about the Lacedaemonian elders.
- The Thirty marched out to attack Thrasybulus, at the head of the Lacedaemonian garrison.
Definition of Lacedaemonian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.