Definition of Lakota in English:
noun (plural same or Lakotas)
1A member of an American Indian people of western South Dakota (also called Teton Sioux).
- Between 1866 and 1891 these men participated in several notable campaigns against Kiowas, Comanches, Cheyennes, Apaches, and Lakotas.
- For the first time in four decades, save for the usual raids and counterraids with Blackfeet and Lakotas, the Crows had their country to themselves.
- ‘Mad Bear’ Harney deeply humiliated the Lakotas and convinced the Oglalas and Brules that the time had come to withdraw from the Platte.
2 [mass noun] The Siouan language of the Lakota, with about 6,000 speakers.
- By the end of the one-week marathon held near Stratford, Ontario, the two translation teams had produced Easter Story Selections in Lakota and Choctaw that they can now publish and distribute in their language communities.
- ‘Skaa is Lakota for ‘ghost,’ thank you very much,’ I said shortly.
- Ostler has made a standout contribution to our understanding of both the events and their meaning in a work that deserves the attention of social scientists and historians as well as contemporary Lakota and non-Lakota readers.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Lakota or their language.
- There are 6,000 Lakota speakers out of a population of 20,000 but language use is very strong in some Lakota communities.
- Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, designed by Bahr Vermeer Haecker Architects, is a melding of Lakota spirituality and Roman Catholic tradition, embracing each other with respect and open arms.
- When reservation Lakota leaders arrived in the nontreaty camps offering surrender terms from Department of the Platte commander General George Crook, Crazy Horse's following began to fragment.
Definition of Lakota in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan