Definition of Lamaism in English:
The system of doctrine and observances inculcated and maintained by lamas; Tibetan Buddhism.
- The main religion is Lamaism, which is the Yellow Sect of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Chinese officials did, however, try to conciliate the nomads by promoting Tibetan Lamaism, the religion of the Mongols.
- In some pastoral areas, the Ewenki believe in Lamaism, the Tibetan form of Buddhism adopted by the majority of Mongols.
- Example sentences
- The Chinese Emperor was the highest patron of Lamaist Buddhism - a concept which allowed the Emperor to think of the Dalai Lama as his client, and the Dalai Lama to think of the Emperor as his disciple.
- Scroll paintings called tanka that depicted the various gods and saints of Lamaist Buddhism decorated every temple.
- There is also a religious justification for the ban in this staunchly Lamaist Buddhist kingdom.
Pronunciation: /ˈlɑːməɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of Lamaism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan