Definition of Lapp in English:
1A member of an indigenous people of the extreme north of Scandinavia, traditionally associated with the herding of reindeer.
- The Finns arrived in their present territory thousands of years ago, pushing the indigenous Lapps into the more remote northern regions.
- Was this the result of ‘transhumance’ societies akin to the Lapps following reindeer into the northern tundra?
- She goes on to explain what a resource the reindeer is for the Lapps; how they eat everything but the skin and antlers, which of course have other uses.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Lapps or their language.
- While water from the taps in Finland runs clear and cold, we discovered that lungfuls of Lapp air are an even better tonic.
- My guess was that it was a traditional Lapp coat.
- Through persistence and ingenuity Wille is able to free himself from his captivity and then finds shelter with Anni, a young, sturdy and independent Lapp peasant.
Definition of Lapp in:
- US English dictionary