Definition of Latvian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Latvia.
- The regime aimed to transform the country into a typical Soviet one, and many native Latvians were deported and Russians brought in to help achieve this.
- The attack was complemented in the west by attacks from nationalities hitherto under Russian control, i.e. Finns, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, and Poles.
- At this time native Estonians and Latvians were beginning to settle in the towns, and from this new class there emerged nationalist and revolutionary groups.
2 [mass noun] The official language of Latvia, which belongs to the Baltic branch of the Indo-European family and has about 1.5 million speakers.
- The new Latvian government reinstated Latvian as the official language.
- The show includes 120 displays of photographs, documents, relics and texts in four languages - English, Latvian, French and Welsh.
- Amidst the Babel-like diversity, Brother Wolfgang spoke alternately in German and in English, while others translated into Latvian, French, Italian and Dutch.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Latvia or its language.
- By the 1980s, Latvian language and culture were on the verge of extinction, and some drastic measures were needed to galvanise them after independence.
- In free Latvia, state money has been used to restore cemeteries where Latvian SS soldiers are buried, and museums recording the occupation from 1940 to 1990 have been established.
- The company has already received inquiries from businesses as far away as Scotland interested in recruiting Latvian workers through the company's Riga office.
Definition of Latvian in:
- US English dictionary