- A member of the Hebrew tribe of Levi, especially of that part of it which provided assistants to the priests in the worship in the Jewish temple.More example sentences
- The Kohanim and Levites served in the Temple, and three times a year - during the holidays of Passover, Sukkot and Shavuot - all Jews were commanded to come to Jerusalem and visit the Temple.
- It is preferable that the Sanhedrin contain Kohen-priests and Levites as members.
- During this time, the Levites sang Hallel, repeating it several times until all had finished slaughtering.
Middle English: from late Latin levita, from Greek leuitēs, from Hebrew Lēwī 'Levi'.
More definitions of LeviteDefinition of Levite in:
- The US English dictionary