nounPrinting , • trademark
- A composing machine producing lines of words as single strips of metal, used chiefly for newspapers. It is now rarely used.More example sentences
- I'd thought that ‘slug’ applied to any piece of mechanically cast type, whether a Linotype's lines or a Monotype's sorts.
- In Linotype, molten metal was set into whole lines of type.
- There's no way a typewriter could ‘set’ the type in this memo and even a good typesetter using a Linotype machine of the era would have to spend hours getting this effect.
late 19th century: alteration of the phrase line o' type.
More definitions of LinotypeDefinition of Linotype in:
- The US English dictionary