noun[mass noun] Computing , • trademark
- An open-source operating system modelled on UNIX.More example sentences
- The unit and its hard drive can be accessed by any Windows, Mac, Linux or Unix client.
- In addition, Unix, Linux and Windows boxes can all be controlled via the same console.
- Customers finally have an incentive to actually test Linux and open source software.
1990s: from the name of Linus Benedict Torvalds (born 1969), a Finnish software engineer who wrote the first version of the system, + -x, as in Unix.
More definitions of LinuxDefinition of Linux in:
- The US English dictionary