A black poplar of a variety which has a distinctive tall, slender columnar form. It arose as a mutation in Italy and is widely cultivated.
- Populus nigra variety italica, family Salicaceae
More example sentences
- He personally designed and supervised the planting of Lombardy poplars along Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House, in what Choukas-Bradley called ‘the first Washington street treeplanting on record.’
- The village in Virginia which was our home consisted of two sleepy streets lined with Lombardy poplars, creeping between a slow-moving river and silent, brooding hills.
- White fringe trees flanked the central steps and fountain terraces, and Lombardy poplars added vertical accents in the Italian taste.
More definitions of Lombardy poplarDefinition of Lombardy poplar in:
- The US English dictionary