- A state in the southern US, on the Gulf of Mexico; population 4,410,796 (est. 2008); capital, Baton Rouge. Louisiana originally denoted the large region of the Mississippi basin claimed for France by the explorer La Salle in 1682. It was sold by the French to the US in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. The smaller area now known as Louisiana became the 18th state in 1812.
Louisianan (also Louisianian)
- More example sentences
- For me, as for most expatriate Louisianians, the holiday season means lots of quality time with my groundcar.
- We'll report on the immense challenges facing Louisianans after the destruction of their courts and the dislocation of thousands of prisoners.
- She thinks, too, of the hardship Louisianans would face if clinics like hers were forced out of business.
named in honour of Louis XIV.
More definitions of LouisianaDefinition of Louisiana in:
- The US English dictionary