Definition of Lutheran in English:
1A follower of Martin Luther.
- The region was a mixture of Calvinists, Lutherans, Catholics and Anabaptists.
- But as the Sea Beggars got stronger, they started to persecute Catholics, Anabaptists and Lutherans.
- In the post-Reformation period the church divided into Calvinist, Lutheran, and Anabaptist camps, and the issue has gone unresolved until the present day.
1.1A member of the Lutheran Church.
- Among Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Disciples of Christ, and Methodists, an infant is baptized into the body of believers and of Christ by sprinkling water on its head.
- Although most ethnic Hungarians belong to the Reformed church, Lutherans constitute the country's largest Protestant denomination.
- Those who remained religious fell into three separate groups: Laestadians, Lutherans, and free church Protestants.
adjectiveBack to top
1Of or characterized by the theology of Martin Luther.
- There's that understanding of the Word of God, and the performative, effectual nature of the Word of God, which under-girds Lutheran theology and Lutheran worship and Bach's music.
- Where are the limits and weaknesses of Lutheran theology?
- Compatible, perhaps, with a Lutheran theology of the cross, Peters's view of the cosmic dance is cruciform.
1.1Relating to the Lutheran Church.
- In the Lutheran churches with which Anglicans are now in full communion, confirmation-laying on of hands-has historically been administered by presbyters.
- Anglican and Lutheran churches in Canada have approved a full communion agreement modeled on a similar accord drafted by their sister churches in the United States.
- The substantial differences between Calvinist / Reformed and Lutheran views divided Protestants in England as much as on the continent.
- Example sentences
- He's blasted the Blairite champagne socialists and denounced dog owners, tattooed goths, and the Presbyterians who believe Lutheranism is a form of crazed hedonism.
- The Protestant Reformation created not only Lutheranism but its archrival, Calvinism, which now joined the Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox Churches.
- Disgusted with the bland, palliative Lutheranism of his day, he stresses duty, self-sacrifice, and total commitment.
Words that rhyme with Lutheranlepidopteran
Definition of Lutheran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan