Definition of Macanese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of Macao, especially one of mixed Chinese and Portuguese descent.
- The Portuguese have seemed to close their ranks, although the Macanese are in a more vulnerable position due to the pull of Chinese culture.
- After 400 years of Portuguese rule, the colonizers' bloodlines have been embedded in the makeup of the country to produce some delightful fusions - the handsome Macanese and their glorious cuisine.
- The young Macanese driver will be at the Pembrey Circuit on August 18-19 to test Carlin Motorsport's new model Dallara Mugen-Honda.
2 [mass noun] A Portuguese Creole formerly used in Macao.
- The old Macanese language (Patuá, or Makista) was a typical Creole language, based on Portuguese but heavily influenced by various Chinese dialects and by Malay.
- However, I do understand my parents when they speak Macanese, and if required, I could carry on a simple conversation in Macanese.
- Since the first Chinese immigrants came from Macau, some of these also speak Macanese, a Portuguese Creole also known as Patuá.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Macao or the Macanese.
- As well as fielding Chinese hopeful Wang, the new Team China, headed by Macanese motorsport veteran Ao Chi-Hong, will run China drivers Song Ge and Chia On for the opening rounds in Bahrain.
- ‘I will still need to work on my fitness’, added the young Macanese star.
- Her detailed description of the interplay of Portuguese dishes with Cantonese cooking and also the indigenous Macanese cuisine abounds in interesting detail.
From Macao, on the pattern of words such as Japanese.
Words that rhyme with MacaneseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Macanese in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.