- 1 (also Macassar oil) [mass noun] A kind of oil formerly used by men to make their hair shine and lie flat.More example sentences
- Every morning he donned white satin gloves with pearl buttons at the wrists, and by noon they were spotted with dirt and Macassar oil and crushed lice.
- I remember these still being used in the homes of my older relatives in the 1960s, although no one wore Macassar oil in those days.
- It is thought to have a tonic effect on the scalp; it was used as an ingredient in a hair preparation known as "Macassar" oil in the Victorian period.
- 2 variant spelling of Makassar.
mid 17th century: earlier form of Makassar. The oil was originally represented as consisting of ingredients from Makassar.
More definitions of MacassarDefinition of Macassar in:
- The US English dictionary