(also Mach number)
- The ratio of the speed of a body to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It is often used with a numeral (as Mach 1, Mach 2, etc.) to indicate the speed of sound, twice the speed of sound, etc..More example sentences
- A Mach number is a measure of airspeed, and not of ground speed.
- When the P - 38 wing developed a supersonic enclosure at the critical Mach number, the center of pressure moved aft, causing the nose to tuck down.
- The party atmosphere as we roared across the Atlantic at twice the speed of sound, Mach 2, 1,350 miles per hour, at the very edge of space.
1930s: named after Ernst Mach (see Mach, Ernst).
More definitions of MachDefinition of Mach in:
- The US English dictionary