- The hypothesis that a body’s inertial mass results from its interaction with the rest of the matter in the universe.More example sentences
- According to Mach, the slopping of your drink in the lurching aeroplane is attributable to the influence of all the matter in the Universe-an idea that became known as Mach's principle.
- Working with his graduate student Carl Brans, Dicke incorporated Mach's principle into an alternate theory of gravity by adding an extra term to Einstein's equations.
- Sciama was very keen on Mach's principle, the idea that objects owe their inertia to the influence of all the other matter in the universe.
More definitions of Mach's principleDefinition of Mach's principle in:
- The US English dictionary