Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of Macro-Siouan in English:
A proposed phylum of North American languages including the Siouan, Iroquoian, and Caddoan families and some others.
- Caddoan as part of Macro-Siouan is a possibility, but more research is required to determine the validity of this proposal.
- I am interested in Macro-Siouan, especially Chiwere and proto-Siouan.
- In North America, similarities between the Siouan family and the Iroquoian family suggest such a higher-order grouping, which can be called Macro-Siouan.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Macro-Siouan language phylum.
- Some linguists group the Siouan languages together with the Caddoan and Iroquoian languages in a Macro-Siouan language family.
- Many linguists remain unconvinced that these three language groups share a genetic relationship, and the existence of a Macro-Siouan language family remains a subject of some debate.
- Is it plausible to think that at some point the Mohawk elders grew weary of their macro-Siouan heritage and decided at a tribal council that from then on they would mark all the participants of an event on the verb that expressed that event?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.