noun• informal , • dated
- An inflatable life jacket, originally as issued to RAF personnel during the Second World War.More example sentences
- Over the clothing we wore a Mae West, then the British parachute and, on top of that lot, came the quick-release Sutton harness.
- Their flight suits were khaki and they wore yellow Mae West life vests.
- He was wearing his Mae West life jacket, as he always did on a mission over water, because he couldn't swim.
1940s: from the name of the American film actress Mae West (see West, Mae), noted for her large bust.
More definitions of Mae WestDefinition of Mae West in:
- The US English dictionary