- 1Relating to or denoting the final Palaeolithic culture in Europe, following the Solutrean and dated to about 17,000–11,500 years ago. It is characterized by a range of bone and horn tools, and by highly developed cave art.More example sentences
- By 1869 his scheme for European prehistory was fairly well elaborated and included: the Thenasian (for the now obsolete Eolithic), Chellean, Mousterian, Solutrean, Aurignacian, Magdalenian, and Robenhausian.
- The archaeological material in the Grotte de Marsoulas, which is over 60 km. long, is from the Magdalenian phase of the Upper Palaeolithic.
- More localized traditions, such as the Solutrian and Magdalenian, were responsible for the cave art of south-western France and northern Spain.
late 19th century: from French Magdalénien 'from La Madeleine', a site of this culture in the Dordogne, France.
More definitions of MagdalenianDefinition of Magdalenian in:
- The US English dictionary