- One of the Bihari group of languages, spoken by some 25 million people in northern Bihar, elsewhere in India, and in Nepal.More example sentences
- In India, for instance, Maithili was claimed as a mother tongue by over 6 million people in the 1971 census.
- For ‘Chitchor’ I had to sing in Maithili language, which is one of the native languages of Bihar.
- These are as important contribution to the Maithili literature as are the writings of upper caste.
Sanskrit (as an adjective), from Mithilā, a place in northern Bihar.
More definitions of MaithiliDefinition of Maithili in:
- The US English dictionary