Definition of Malayan in English:
another term for Malay.
- The different races in Malaya think of themselves primarily as Malays, Chinese or Indians and only secondarily, if at all, as Malayans.
- The secret lies in the pure harmony among Malayans, despite the various ethnic groups, cultures and religions.
- For the ordinary Malayans on Aug 31, it was a holiday.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Malays, the Malay language, or Malaya (now part of Malaysia).
- The most successful example of the ‘oil-spot’ strategy, in his view, was the British campaign against Malayan insurgents in the 1950s.
- Yamashita's Malayan campaign, culminating in the fall of Singapore in February 1942, made him a national hero.
- It had been thought that the Malayan tapir is usually solitary, except for a female with young.
Definition of Malayan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan