A dark-backed shearwater that nests on islands in the NE Atlantic and Mediterranean waters.
- Puffinus puffinus, family Procellariidae
More example sentences
- Faced with a mineral-deficient diet, red deer on the Scottish island of Rum resort to an unusual source of calcium: They munch chicks of a seabird known as the Manx shearwater.
- Situated 16 miles off the west coast of northern Scotland, Rum has one of the world's largest colonies of Manx shearwaters.
- The hatching success in the Manx shearwaters is strongly determined by the incidence of rainfall during the incubation period.
Definition of Manx shearwater in:
- The US English dictionary