noun (plural same or Maoris)
- 1A member of the aboriginal people of New Zealand.More example sentences
- Analysing the examples of the Maoris in New Zealand, the Aborigenese in Australia and the Quebecois in Canada he clarifies the special case of ethnocultural nationalism of the Indians.
- Aborigines, Maoris and even Mexicans think he is a fighter for economic justice in the Third World.
- The Maoris of New Zealand and the Khoikhoi and the Africans of South Africa had, however, featured prominently in the concerns of British humanitarians.
- 2 [mass noun] The Polynesian language of the Maoris, with about 100,000 speakers.More example sentences
- I did not grow up using Maori language or really understanding tikanga Maori.
- He spoke fluent Maori and often lapsed into the language in his writing.
- Especially with languages as different in their origins as English and Maori, this is not possible.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Maoris or their language.More example sentences
- We are not talking here just about Maori land, language, culture, and things like that.
- It was emphasised that the programme was not an introduction to Maori culture and language.
- Many of the Maori tribes had made it clear that they would not support any Maori party that was exclusive or separatist.
The Maoris arrived in New Zealand as part of a series of waves of migration from Tahiti, probably from the 9th century onwards. They lost large amounts of land in the colonization of New Zealand by the British, and now number about 280,000
- More example sentences
- It's our common thread of Maoridom that distinguishes us from inhabitants of the other great Anglo-Saxon ex-colonies and the British homeland.
- But, given the strong feelings he stirred in Maoridom that led to this interview, it is a shame that he left us in the lurch without explanation.
- In Maoridom, a tapu area is considered sacred and holy and it is believed that anyone breaking the rahui will face spiritual consequences.
the name in Maori.
More definitions of MaoriDefinition of Maori in:
- The US English dictionary