- A member of the princely and military castes of the former Hindu kingdom of Maharashtra in central India. The Marathas rebelled against the Moguls and in 1674 established their own kingdom. They came to dominate southern and central India but were later subdued by the British.More example sentences
- The British finally defeated the Marathas and established themselves in the Red Fort by early nineteenth century when the British resident became the de facto ruler of Delhi.
- He maintained cordial relations with the Moguls, the British, the Marathas and every power.
- It was during his reign that the Hindu Marathas became active in the north-western Deccan (modern Maharashtra state) under their dynamic leader Shivaji.
via Hindi from Sanskrit Mahārāṣṭra 'great kingdom'.
More definitions of MarathaDefinition of Maratha in:
- The US English dictionary