Definition of Mardi Gras in English:
1A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans: [as modifier]: the Mardi Gras parade
More example sentences
- Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.
- The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
- The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.
1.1A carnival or fair held at any time.
- The annual Caribbean Carnival will top off the festival on June 20 with a Mardi Gras from 7pm-midnight and firework finale.
- And if you want Europeans to attend more then make it a Mardi Gras and I think then the mayor will have a tourist attraction.
- We went out on the town taking in a Mardi Gras like there was no tomorrow.
French, literally 'fat Tuesday', alluding to the last day of feasting before the fast of Lent.
Definition of Mardi Gras in:
- US English dictionary