- 1 (also Marist Father) A member of the Society of Mary, a Roman Catholic missionary and teaching order.More example sentences
- The First Catholic missionaries, Marists, landed in Samoa in 1845.
- In 1826, the Methodist Mission successfully introduced Christianity to Tonga, and Marists introduced Roman Catholicism in 1842.
- The Marists viewed themselves initially as itinerant missionaries, prepared to answer spiritual needs wherever they might arise.
late 19th century: from French Mariste, from the given name Marie, equivalent of Mary.
More definitions of MaristDefinition of Marist in:
- The US English dictionary