noun (plural Marranos)
- (In medieval Spain) a Jew or Moor who had converted to Christianity, especially one who professed conversion in order to avoid persecution.More example sentences
- She started researching her family history and concluded that her ancestors were Marranos, or Sephardic Jews, who had fled the Inquisition in Spain and in Mexico more than four centuries ago.
- The Marranos (Iberian Jews officially converted to Christianity) secretly celebrating Passover in their attic behave as holdouts from another age.
- As a child, I heard references to the Marranos, the hidden Jews of Spain.
Spanish, of unknown origin.
More definitions of MarranoDefinition of Marrano in:
- The US English dictionary