Definition of Martini in English:
1 [mass noun] trademark A type of vermouth produced in Italy.
- Pour in Martini & Rossi dry vermouth until the glass is one third full.
- Faulkner orders double shots of Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth.
- ‘He had drunk a litre of vodka, half a bottle of Martini and alcopops, too,’ she said.
2A cocktail made from gin (or vodka) and dry vermouth, typically garnished with an olive or a twist of lemon.
- We sell more Cuervo Gold Margaritas and house Martinis from our own cocktail list than anything.
- But much as I like Martinis, Manhattans and Negronis, there are several reasons I find myself returning to the sweet and sour category of drinks.
- Today, the fight is to be noticed, and Margaritas, Mojitos, and Martinis are the beverage weapons of choice.
Late 19th century: named after Martini and Rossi, an Italian firm selling vermouth.
Definition of Martini in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan