Definition of May Day in English:
11 May, celebrated in many countries as a traditional springtime festival or as an international day honouring workers.
- That was the spirit that inspired the establishment of May Day as international workers day.
- On May Day 1917, 70,000 workers marched here in support of the February Revolution in Russia.
- In the painting, Rivera included a scene of a giant May Day demonstration of workers marching with red banners.
1.1(In the UK) a public holiday on the first Monday in May.
- It's been a Bank Holiday here today - the annual public holiday for May Day.
- Speakers also called on the government to declare May Day a public holiday.
- Better times were back for North Yorkshire's battered tourist industry over the May Day Bank Holiday.
Definition of May Day in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan