- An international radio distress signal used by ships and aircraft: we sent out a Mayday the pilot was screaming ‘Mayday!’ [as modifier]: a Mayday callMore example sentences
- The ship sent out the Mayday signal early yesterday morning when it was about 33 nautical miles away.
- The radio operator sent a Mayday distress call, which was logged by the local Coastguard station at 12.06 am.
- To send armed forces onboard a civil ship sending out Mayday signals is piracy.
1920s: representing a pronunciation of French m'aider, from venez m'aider 'come and help me'.
More definitions of MaydayDefinition of Mayday in:
- The US English dictionary