Definition of McCarthyism in English:
A vociferous campaign against alleged communists in the US government and other institutions carried out under Senator Joseph McCarthy in the period 1950-4. Many of the accused were blacklisted or lost their jobs, though most did not in fact belong to the Communist Party.
- Computergate was a chilling welcome to a new McCarthyism, a McCarthyism not run by a centralized political authority, but enabled by a specific way of understanding and treating computer technology.
- In the school's library I found a remnant of McCarthyism stamped inside the cover of a book.
- The effect of McCarthyism on people in government and in the entertainment industry has been widely publicized.
- Example sentences
- I would hope that all the institutions represented here would join in a protest against this McCarthyite attempt to suppress dissident views.
- In the absence of that, this is just a McCarthyist witch-hunt.
- They think it's a McCarthyite vendetta against Dr Wakefield.
Pronunciation: /məˈkɑːθɪʌɪt/(also McCarthyist) adjective& noun
Definition of McCarthyism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan